Earlier this year, Snapchat introduced a new feature called “Discovery” that allows you to see live events around the world, as well as sponsored stories from their partners. These can not be disabled in the 9.12 update, and previous to that, they required you to “hide” each of them every time from your feed. There are potentially thousands of these events on your feed, and they annoying, drain battery, drain your data, or both! Since the application refuses to allow their users to disable the “feature”, many turned to third party apps to get rid of it.
Most (if not all) 3rd party apps are against Snapchat ToS, because they usually allow you to save received snaps, and share images from your gallery (aka. pictures that may not be of you). Your account can be banned permanently from using 3rd party apps, and since they’ve been really hitting it hard with cracking down on people using them, it’s not a viable solution to figuring out how to block the Discovery “feature”.
I found the solution! This solution IS COMPLETELY FREE, as well it will keep you using the official application, so no 3rd party apps will be used. You’ll also NOT be using any xposed modules, so nothing ToS breaking like saving snaps or whatever, either 🙂
- ROOTED Android 4.4+or 5.0+
- Titanium Backup Premium – Free Version and Premium Unlock Key
- Latest Snapchat APK from Google Play
- Snapchat 8.1.2 APK from APK Mirror
- Install the latest official client from the links above, and login as normal. Close the app once you’re logged in, and swipe it away from recents.
- Open up Titanium Backup Premium, and back up the Snapchat app.
- Uninstall the Snapchat app.
- Install the 8.1.2 version (linked above).
- Open up Titanium Backup Premium, and restore ONLY THE DATA PORTION of the backup. DO NOT RESTORE APP OR APP+DATA!
- Once successful, close TiBu and open up Snapchat