Flir, a specialist in thermal imaging, is launching a new gadget that plugs directly into your smartphone to allow it to display the thermal vision of what surrounds you.
Flir decided to use its experience in thermal imaging to embark on the smartphones market with their invention, the Flir One. Already on iOS, the release on Android will be for July.
The Flir One comes in the form of a plugin equipped with two cameras that will plug into the mini-USB socket on your smartphone a thermal camera and another standard one.
The device allows your smartphone to see in the dark, to detect heat sources and observe through smoke, fog, etc. According to the manufacturer, Flir One can detect variations in temperature of a tenth of a degree. Therefore, you can search the loss of heat in your home and detect water leaks in plumbing like playing hide and seek at night.
This small gadget has its own battery. It produces images of 640×480 pixels.
To use it, you will need to download the Flir One app on Google Play Store. It will allow to improve, modify and edit the images. Other applications will be compatible for different types of use according to the developers imagination.
The device is now available for preorder, it will be sold for 315 $.
- Temperature range: -4°F to 248°F (-20° to 120°C)
- Operating temperature: 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C)
- Dimensions: L 2.8 inches (72mm) x W 1 inch (26mm) x H 0.7 inches (18mm)
- Battery capacity: 350 mA/h, the Flir neither uses the device batter, nor charges it.
- Sensitivity: ability to detect temperature differences as small as 0.18° F (0.1° C)
- Charging method: micro-USB
- Included accessory: charging cable